West Virgina Power News List

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Biscuits and Baseball...

On Thursday night, we opened our road trip... or at least we tried.  The rained started a few innings in and forced the game to be suspended to Friday.  It was tough to see this happen because our starting pitcher was doing a fantastic job.  One hit allowed over four innings against a team that beat us three times in our own park to start the season.

On Friday, I decided to venture downtown to try a highly recommended, highly decorated (awarded, not decor-ed) restaurant called Tupelo Honey Cafe.  It came up on several searches and even a few people at the ballpark said it was worth a trip.  I made the one mile walk from the ballpark through the downtown area.  Asheville seems like a great town.  I passed several breweries and pubs (we will get back to that in a minute), some great local eateries, and a music hall called The Orange Peel.  From the marquee, it looks like they get some really good acts.

On to lunch.  Tupelo Honey is located on College St. by a park that reminded of New York City.  Street musicians, chess being played on picnic tables, food carts.  A really cool atmosphere.  I walked right in and got a seat, probably because I was by myself.  It seemed like bigger groups had a decent wait.  I ordered my water (Asheville is a Coke town...  I'm a (Diet) Pepsi person).

And this this came:
A fresh, homemade biscuit with blueberry jam and.. yep...  Tupelo Honey.  Was it good?  Of course it was.  The women sitting beside me asked if I ordered that or if the waitress just brought it out on her own.  Had I not taken a bite, the two women (sisters from Tennessee) might have fought me for it.  A battle I'm pleased to not lose.

I asked the waitress what her favorite sandwich was.  She gave a couple suggestions, including the sandwich I was planning on getting (fried green tomatoes).  Then she mentioned a newer sandwich.  I tried that instead.

A grilled cheese on sourdough wheat with havarti, pimento cheese, carmelized onions, maple peppered bacon, city ham, fried green tomatoes, and fresh basil... with a side of homemade tomato soup.  Arguably the best sandwich I've eaten since the Paddy's Pot Roast Melt at Molly Branigan's.  

Good thing I walked...  one mile there.  One mile back.  Much needed after this amazing lunch.

We picked up the baseball action in the fifth inning and continued to roll over Asheville.  So over two days we won our second game of the season.  The Power lost a seven inning version of the regularly scheduled Friday game.  

On Saturday, I made sure to take care of the media notes early.  I had already decided to go see an 11:50 am showing of 42, the Jackie Robinson story and take the starting pitcher bus.  There are several bus times to leave and go to the stadium each day.  The coaches had been leaving at 11:30 or so with one players bus at 2-2:30.  The starting pitcher is the last person to arrive at the ballpark.  With notes done and it being a Saturday, I rode over with Tyler Glasnow at 3:15.     

Before we get to one of the strangest games I've seen, I'll give you my short take on 42: go see it.  If your are a baseball fan, go see it.  If you like period piece movies, go see it.  Historical dramas with social commentaries...  you get the point.  Chadwick Bosemen was tremendous as Jackie Robinson.  You could feel the anguish is his portrayal of the legend, especially in the scene above.  I know some are criticizing any liberties taken in filming, but I believe there were very few and those that were taken drove me back to the very first thing you see on the screen.

Based on a True Story.  

Harrison Ford was also exceptional, portraying Branch Rickey. His passion for doing what was right... Ford played it so well.  One of the best roles he has had in a long time.  And some phenomenal eyebrows.

There are some scenes that, in this day and age, are difficult to watch because of the rampant racism.  It was a period piece that accurately (at least I think it was accurate) portrays the mentality of the era... about baseball and society.  You see a comedy to laugh, a documentary to think, a horor film to scream, and a Nicolas Sparks movie because your wife makes you.  Watch this to see how far we have come and how far we still have to go.

Go see it.  And try not to be offended by the constant use of "Pittsburgh" as a punch line.

As for the Saturday game...  23 runs combined.  24 hits between the teams.  AND 12 ERRORS combined!  I said on the air, and I'll say it again... we had no business winning that game.  You should not win a game where you compile seven errors (matched the Power record for errors in a single game- July 22, 2009 vs. Savannah).  But we won.  Raul Fortunato hit a game-tying home run in the top of the ninth and we added five more runs in a 14-9 comeback win.  Michael Ryan told me that it was "A" ball and things like that happen.  I just hope they don't happen with this club too often.

And then we did it again Sunday.  Fortunato hit a three run homer to push us ahead 7-6 in the eighth en route to a 12-7 win.  Three of four from Asheville, who oh by the way beat us three out of four times at our place last weekend.  At least Sunday was error free.

I hate using the phrase "cardiac kids," so I won't.  But after 11 games, this might be the most resilient team we have had in Charleston.  One that the Toastman might talk about a decade from now.

Here is a pic of the right field wall at McCormick Field.  42 feet at its' highest point and 36 feet closer to the pole.  Tallest wall in all of baseball (the 42 foot part).  

Two more things about Asheville.  Their PA announcer went to Gannon University.  I, being a Mercyhurst Laker, was predisposed to disliking him based solely on his choice of college.  But he was a great guy to talk to.  Very casual on the mic with a voice you could hear across the stadium without amplification.

Beer.  That's the other thing.  No fewer than 10 people talked to me about beer.  Craft beer.  Brew pubs.  Where to go and what to drink.  Oh you have to try this... or if you like a good lager, try that.  Apparently that is a big thing there.  Because everyone talks about it.  All the time.  I began to wonder how anything got done. 

Off to Greenville, SC for a few days.  I heard there is a "Shoeless Joe Jackson" museum across from Fluor (floor) Field.  This I've got to see.

I'll update you again later this week.  For now, Gladiator is on TV.  I've got Almost Famous of DVD.  I had sushi for dinner.  And I'll never have another bad day.






2 comments:

  1. Adam, Shoeless Joe's Museum is a great visit, but only open on Saturdays and before select Drive games.

    But email the museum's president, Arlene Marcley at info@shoelessjoejackson.org and she will make sure that you and any of the guys from the team get in during the week.

    Tell her that Steve and the guys from The Citadel say hi. Shoeless Joe's great-great-great nephew, Joe Jackson, plays ball at The Citadel.

    ReplyDelete