West Virgina Power News List

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Some Things Go South...

I know I am long overdue for an update and I do apologize.  I have a few stories to pass along today as we were rained out in Delmarva.  I want to start by going back to our short road trip to Kannapolis.

We played a series in North Carolina in late May.  A few things stood out while we were there.


Minor League Baseball attendance is once again skyrocketing, but it doesn't seem to have improved in Kannapolis.  I know it seems like I could have taken these pictures in the middle of the day.  Unfortunately, I took these about 25 minutes before first pitch during Monday night's first game.  I don't mean for this to be a knock on the Intimidators or their staff...  though the next part might come across the wrong way.


I noticed one other oddity about halfway through the game.  There was no emcee.  There were zero contests between innings.  One song was played in between innings and that was it.  This industry thrives on fan entertainment and interaction.

Even if you aren't expecting a large crowd, it seems to me that you want to entertain the audience you do get so they are more apt to coming to another game.  That is just my take.  There are reasons behind every decision and that is one thing I won't question.

As for food on this trek south...  well let's just say not every place can be a culinary win.  Using TripAdvisor, I chose the #10 restaurant in Concord, which is where our hotel is located.

Mayflower Seafood Restaurant was the only top ten option within walking distance.  I took the mile and a half walk with plans to go see the new Star Trek movie afterwards.

In describing this restaurant to a few people, I suggested it was like a love child between Long John Silvers and Hoss's.  Then some friends asked what Hoss's was.  To which I explained that Hoss's is what would happen if Golden Coral had a food baby with Texas Roadhouse.


Deep fried everything.


Here is one difference between the "north" and the "south."  In the north, our malt vinegar is in the bottle and our tartar sauce is in the packets.


I'm leaving you on a down note this time.  As you know, my wife was in a fender bender early in the month.  On Memorial Day, I was in a car accident.  100% my fault for complete stupidity.  My father kept telling me to stop beating myself up for this accident, but I can't let it go.

Plenty of damage to metal, plastic, and insurance rates.  Fortunately, everyone involved left the scene without a scratch.  I'm learning from this incident.  Among other things, never stop paying attention to the details.


I hope I'll never have another bad day.

1 comment: