West Virgina Power News List

Friday, May 16, 2014

Greenville's Monster and More...

The current Power road trip has taken us to Greenville, SC, and Augusta, GA.  Greenville is a long-storied franchise with short-timed roots at Fluor Field.  The club has its origins in Shelby, NC, and 35 years ago, was a Pirates affiliate.  Rafael Belliard came through Shelby, Bucco fans.  Pay your respect.

Ok... That's enough.

The franchise moved... and then moved again, settling in Greenville at the old stadium.  Fluor Field opened one year after the team became a Red Sox affiliate, so the park was built with Boston in mind.  A gamble in my opinion because of affiliation changes and how often they occur (read about Medlar Field at Lubrano Park in State College to understand more of what I mean).

The coolest part is their version of the Green Monster.  33 feet high instead of Boston's 37-foot original.  Like its parent club, the Drive included a hand-operated scoreboard.


I asked for a quick look.  What is behind the scenes?  Stacks of metal plates with numbers and team names.  League opponents, colleges and even a few high schools.



For lunch on getaway day, I scouted Smoke on the Water.  A Saucy Southern Eatery... or something like that.

I went for the pulled pork sandwich with fried okra.  The pork was decent.  Not the best yet, though, by any stretch.  This stop served as a learning point for my BBQ challenge.  From this point on, I will not order something that is not already sauced.  Smoke on the Water had five sauces: Sweet Tomato, Spicy Mustard, KC-Style, Eastern Carolina, and Fiery Tomato.  I sampled them all with the top half of my sandwich bun (since the waitress never brought the promised cornbread).  Ultimately I split the sandwich down the middle with KC-style and Eastern Carolina.

By not getting something pre-sauced, the meat didn't have time to suck up the sauce and therefore... wasn't as good.  This is my fault, not theirs, but the waitress also didn't recommend a better option.

After four rounds:
1.  Willie's Almost Famous (Lexington)
2.  Chestnut (Asheville)
3.  Smoke on the Water (Greenville)
4.  Jim 'N Nicks (Kannapolis)

As we move on to Augusta, I leave you with this unique view from inside the Greenville Monster.   What a way to see the game.













I'll never have another bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment